Yumm- Cinnabon! Who doesn't love, love, love the aroma from the Cinnabon bakery at the malls? Just walking by makes us hungry. And, now that same aroma can waft through your kitchen while you bake these at home. We are sharing the recipe for both dairy and parve Copycat Kosher Cinnabons. Enjoy! Caution-They are addictive!
1 cup warm milk - (dairy whole milk, or parve almond or vanilla soy milk)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter or parve margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 pkg ((2 ½ teaspoons) fast acting dry yeast
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or parve margarine, softened
4 ozs. dairy or parve cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter or parve margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk (about 110 F)
Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour. Mix well
Knead dough into a large ball with floured hands
Spray bowl with cooking oil, add ball of dough, and cover with plastic wrap
Let rise in a warm, non-drafty place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size
In separate small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon
Sprinkle flour on a rolling mat or counter top. With rolling pin, roll dough out into approximately a 16x20" rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
Spread dough with 1/3 cup softened butter and sprinkle all over with sugar/cinnamon mixture. (We use a silicone pastry brush to spread the butter) Leave a ¼" margin at edges so that filling stays on the pastry.
Roll dough, starting with the longer side and then cut into 12-14 large rolls with knife or "dental floss". (Slices will be about 1-¾ inches)
Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes or refrigerate covered overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. While rolls are baking, using a mixer- combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt until fluffy. When rolls are removed from oven and while still warm, spread half the icing, which will melt into the roll. Wait 5 -10 minutes, until slightly cooled, and spread remainder of icing (This method is directly from a former Cinnabon employee)
Cinnabon Copycat Kosher Tips:
• For parve version, use a parve margarine, like Earth Balance. Be aware that using real butter makes these even more decadent
• After shaping the rolls and placing them in the greased pan, they can rest, in the refrigerator overnight, covered with plastic, then baked in preheated oven the next morning, and then frosted.
• After spreading the filling over the soft butter, use a rolling pin and gently roll over the sugar/cinnamon mixture before rolling up the pastry. Roll tightly, under-tucking after each completed rollover. Work from middle to edges as you roll.
• Line baking pan w/ parchment for easy cleanup and to catch any excess cinnamon filling at the bottom.
• To re-heat just microwave the buns until warm, 20-30 seconds
This copycat recipe was adapted from various Internet sources and from former Cinnabon staff members
Recipe, kosher, dairy, parve