In the Spotlight
Delicious and Dairy
When in LA a few years ago, we had the pleasure of meeting Leah Adler at The Milky Way −her kosher, dairy restaurant on Pico Boulevard in the center of “kosher” Beverly Hills. Aside from enjoying Leah’s delicious dairy dishes, including her famous blintzes, why was this visit special? It was her welcoming greeting, her non–ending smile, and her extreme pride when she speaks of her famous son; none other than director/producer Steven Spielberg.
At that time Leah, who is now 96, still worked six full days weekly, making restaurant customers feel like special guests, or should I say newly found friends! By the way, framed posters of Steven’s acclaimed films hang on the back walls of the restaurant. W certainly hope to return to the restaurant on our next trip to LA.
We thank Leah for sharing several of her recipes with KosherEye. And, Leah, “til 120” in good health!Add a comment
Chef Leticia Moreinos Schwartz
Photo credit Kate Sears, Published by Kyle Books
Chef and cookbook author Leticia Moreinos Schwartz was born and raised in Brazil. Leticia has a BA in economics, and she moved to the US to pursue a career in cooking. She graduated from The French Culinary Institute with degrees in Culinary & Pastry Arts, and she worked in legendary restaurants in NYC.
Leticia then studied journalism and is the author of award winning books The Brazilian Kitchen and My Rio de Janeiro. Her work has been featured extensively on media outlets such as The New York Times and Saveur, and she has appeared frequently on TV shows including The Today Show, Fox Morning News, and ABC EyeWitness News. chefleticia.com.
In celebration of the Rio 2016 Summer Games, Chef Leticia has provided KosherEye readers with two favorite authentic and delicious Brazilian recipes. Enjoy!Add a comment
Photo credit: Food Network
Fresh challah, homemade toasted pita, artisan breads are all enhanced by dips. We are sharing 11 dips we love-- from the KosherEye table to yours. These are all SUPER dips and Shabbos staples for us.
Smoked Tuna Dip
Herbed Garlic Oil
Kosher Faux Crab Dip
Eggplant Dip by Neil
Egg salad with caviar
Green or black olive dip tapenade
Layered Taco Salad Dip
KosherEye Shavuos Cookbook
Our Best, Most Popular Recipes
Meatless, Dairy or Parve
Ready to Print, Share, Pin and Cook!
Yes, we've made these. Yes they are fabulous. Most can be made dairy or parve. If you have questions, we are here to answer them. Share your comments below or send them to email@example.com.
1. "Crabmeat" Quiche - dairy
2. Easy Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
3. Julie's Caesar salad dressing –parve
4. Caesar salad dressing – dairy
5. Salmon with Fried Onions- parve
6. Dairy Noodle Kugel for a Crowd- by Estee Kafra
7. Deluxe Noodle Kugel by Tina Wasserman
8. Risotto- KosherEye signature recipe – parve or dairy
9. Roasted Corn Chowder by Pam Reiss – parve or dairy
10. Creamy Butternut Squash Soup by Mark Bittman - dairy
11. Beet Salad with goat cheese - dairy
12. Cinnamon Buns with Cream Cheese Glaze by Susie Fishbein- dairy
13. Strawberry Bread – The Amish Cook's Baking Book
14. Whole Wheat Honey Bread by Red Star Yeast
15. Meme's Biscuits by Virginia Willis - dairy
16. Ice Cream Pie – KosherEye Signature Recipe Parve or dairy
17. Cheesecake Pie in a Hurry– A KosherEye Family recipe - dairy
18. Cheesecake The Mile End Cookbook - dairy
19. Chocolate Lasagna – parve or dairy
20. Chocolate Ice Cream, Philadelphia Style by David Lebovitz
21. Vanilla Ice Cream, Philadelphia Style by David Lebovitz
22. No churn – 4 Ingredient ice cream
23. Lemonade Iced Tea by Southern Living Magazine - parve
24. Heering White Russian- by Peter F Heering dairy or parve
25. KosherEye Special Sangria- parve
26. Cinnamon Roll Cake
27. Sushi Cake and Sushi Trifle
28. Crustless Tomato Cheese Quiche
29. Tomato Pea Bisque
30. Alton Brown's Sour Cream Cheesecake
31. Caramel-Apple Cheesecake
32. Triple Berry Fruit Soup
Visit often as more recipes will be added. Share your favorites with us by email to contactus@KosherEye.com.Add a comment
Beyond Meat's 100% plant-based products taste good, are widely available, and when labeled as such, are kosher certified by the Star-K. We could stop writing here, but want to share more on why this is a great addition to a healthy, kosher lifestyle. We remind you that we do love meat and poultry (the real thing) . . . braised, grilled, fried, seasoned, succulent. We are not vegans or vegetarians, however, we were delighted to discover a product as flavorful as Beyond Meat because it can reduce our meat consumption and help us serve healthier meals. Also, we always enjoy creating copycat kosher recipes, and these parve chicken and beef products help in our quest.
Many of Beyond Meat products are Star K certified when noted on the packages. We added the beefy crumble to our Mexican style rice, cheese and beans; We made “chicken eggplant parmesan” with the lightly grilled chicken strips; we crumbled beef-free crumbles over cheese pizza, and on quesadillas, and we made delicious cheesy lasagna. Beyond Meat products were named the #1 Food Innovation for 2014.
From the company: “Based in Los Angeles, California, Beyond Meat is on the cutting edge of plant protein research and development. With a goal of driving innovation and progress, the company provides plant-based protein foods - without sacrificing the taste, chew or satisfaction of meat.” Their impressive list of investors include Bill Gates, Twitter co-founders Biz Stone, and Evan Williams; Seth Goldman, founder of Honest Tea; and the Humane Society of the United States.
Visit www.BeyondMeat.com, Twitter @BeyondMeat, or Facebook.com/BeyondMeat.
Note: Beyond Meat’s much heralded Beast Burger is NOT yet under kosher certification. We can’t wait to taste it, and when it is kosher certified, we will let you know!Add a comment