KosherEye Featured Kitchen Tool
KosherEye Featured Kitchen Tool
This little gadget surprised us. We thought that it would be fun to use, but never did we imagine that we would find it an indispensible new kitchen helper. We enjoy popcorn and buy bags and bags of the pre-popped flavored varieties - including the yummy sweet and salty mix. Now we can make our own popcorn in about 3 minutes, with no additives and adjust the taste to our taste. By the way, popcorn has been called “the sensible snack”, and is often recommended in weigjht loss programs. No, butter not included.
All about Popcorn
- Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup; oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup.
- When lightly buttered, popcorn contains about 133 calories per cup.
- It is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food.
- Popcorn provides energy-producing complex carbohydrates
- Popcorn contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
- It is naturally low in fat and calories.
- Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
- It is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil appetite.
- 3 cups of popcorn equal one serving from the grain group.
The Lékué Microwave Popper
- Easy to use: Add the corn kernels, heat in the microwave and enjoy!
- Pops: Over 90% of the corn kernels
- Healthy: Natural popcorn with no saturated fats.
- Collapsible: t does not use much space in your kitchen cabinet or drawer.
- Innovative design: Designed after conducting scientific research on the best way to cook popcorn in collaboration with the Alícia Foundation.
- Microwave and dishwasher safe: Made of 100% platinum silicone.
- 10 cup capacity
If you are searching for a holiday gift, the Lékué popcorn maker works for just about everyone. It comes with a recipe booklet, for ingredient add-in instructions. Caramel, peanut, chocolate yumm!
Click here to buy this fabulous: Lekue Popcorn Popper, Red
Add a comment
The Ultimate Grind
Since we spend so much time in the kitchen, for us it’s all about convenience and efficiency when cooking. Who would have ever thought that an electronic peppermill would become a beloved tool. Certainly, not us. However, after working with this mill for the past 3 months, we are hooked. it is easy and efficient to operate. We just add whole peppercorns, press a button and the pepper flows in a fine to coarse grind, depending on the setting we choose. The Cole & Mason’s sleek design makes it a lovely addition to the table as well.
Cole & Mason was founded in England in 1919. Because of continued innovation in design and performance was awarded CoolBrands status for 2015, an annual initiative to pay tribute to the UK’s coolest brands, an honor voted for by the public.
KosherEye has tested the Hampstead Electronic pepper mill. It has an integrated LED light, but the feature of quick one-handed operation at a touch of a button is what makes this mill so useful for us. The mill features a hardened carbon steel mechanism for pepper, and comes with a lifetime guarantee. The mechanism does not just crush peppercorns but strips them to release the maximum amount of flavor with each turn.
• Integrated LED light for precise seasoning
• Spring loaded mechanism; adjustable grind fine to coarse at base
• Precision grind mechanism; lifetime guarantee
• Easy one touch use button
• Each mill requires 6x AAA batteries (not included)
• Comes unfilled
To purchase or for more information visit Cole & Mason: coleandmasonusa.com or buy here: Cole & Mason Hampstead Precision Electric Pepper Grinder, Stainless Steel
Watch the Cole & Mason Peppermill in action:Add a comment
For Kitchen Cut Protection
Just like professional chefs, home cooks carry our own very special badges of kitchen honor – burns, cuts, niches and scars, which prove our love of cooking! Yes, the kitchen can be a dangerous place.
For the burns, we recommend a live aloe plant, at the ready, at all times, and placed near a kitchen window. An aloe plant is easy to grow, needs little water, and is very soothing when the inevitable burn occurs.
But, for cuts, we try to prevent them with – the amazing Microplane protective, cut resistant kitchen glove. Just put this lightweight, machine washable glove on the hand holding the vegetable or fruit, and cut or slice away. The glove will protect you from niches and scrapes. Now, we didn’t say it is foolproof, but with the standard kitchen sous chef jobs this glove adds an extra layer of safety. It is cut resistant, NOT cut proof. And, yes there’s more! It is made by the same company that sells those excellent and sharp Microplane graters!
⦿ Helps to stay safe and protected while using zesters, graters, and peelers
⦿ Comfortable to use, comes in one size, and fits right or left hands
⦿ Safe to wash in the home washing machine; air or drip dry only
⦿ A must have for home or professional cooks of all ages
There will be many corks to pull in the upcoming Jewish New Year season, and many L’Chaims and Kiddushes to celebrate the New Year.
In 1983, Bernd Schneider, founder of Vacu Vin, came up with the idea for a Vacuum Wine Saver. Along with his brother John, an engineer, he developed a device to preserve opened bottles of wine. Today, the Vacu Vin Wine Saver is used in over 35 million households in more than 80 countries throughout the world.
And that brings us to the Single Pull Corkscrew from Vacu Vin. It extracts the cork from the bottle in one smooth, vertical motion. The grip contains a foil cutter, a "one motion" crown cap opener. The unique lever mechanism makes the Single Pull Corkscrew the ultimate corkscrew for wine enthusiasts as well as professionals.
- Extracts corks in one continuous smooth action
- Unique lever mechanism
- Pocketsize corkscrew
- Built-in foil cutter and "one motion" crown bottle cap opener
- Effortlessly removes even the longest corks
- Gourmet Retailers’ 2015 Editors Pick
We think that this corkscrew is “best in class”, and highly recommend it due to size, design and ease of use.
For more information: vacuvin.com
To purchase one: Vacu Vin Single Pull Corkscrew with Foil Cutter and Bottle Opener
Cooking with parchment is a time-honored tradition that is practiced by great chefs around the world. PaperChef is a Toronto based company, founded in 2010, that is committed to this tradition. Two of our favorites included in their parchment baking line are culinary bags and Culinary Parchment Baking Cups (more on these lovely cups shortly).
The convenience of baking with parchment is obvious: it is convenient, non-stick, food-safe and disposable. We particularly enjoy fish cooked in these convenient bags. What a delicious time saver. Simply add some lemon and herbs, or try the sample recipe below.
• 100% biodegradable - environmentally friendly
• From oven to table service
• Oven/microwave/freezer safe
• Star K kosher certified
Try cooking in a parchment bag with this recipe:
Hoisin and Orange Glazed Salmon baked in a parchment bag
Recipe adapted from PaperChef
4 salmon fillets, about 6 oz. each
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1-tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 lemon wedges
Preheat oven to 400°F
Place salmon in Culinary Parchment cooking bags on rimmed baking sheet.
Combine hoisin and soy sauces, orange juice and ginger; spoon evenly over salmon.
Fold over open edge twice and crimp well. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Open bag and let stand a few minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
NotesAdd a comment