Back to Challah – Challah is the signature piece de resistance of the Shabbos meal. Yes, we all enjoy the traditional chicken soup, brisket, roast chicken and more - but challah is the star. We present some outstanding challah recipes. Each of the 20 challahs featured have been tested & tasted. We thank these expert bakers (readers too) for sharing their masterpieces with us. Challahs can be made weeks ahead, securely double wrapped, with foil then a plastic freezer bag, and frozen. Be sure and press out as much air as possible. Enjoy every bite!
1. Sharon Lurie, The Kosher Butcher’s Wife, Johannesburg, South Africa cookbook author, TV/Radio personality and the one of the global leaders and innovators of The Shabbos Project. From thekosherbutcherswife.com: How to bake challah with Sharon Lurie
2. Scrumptious Apple Cinnamon Challah recipe from Montreal Mom TV. It is perfect for fall or winter – or any time apples are in season.
3. Prize winning challah by the much admired cooking instructor and author and all around food expert Norene Gilletz from her book Norene’s Healthy Kitchen.
4. The culinary star, journalist, and author Joan Nathan presents her recipe for "Ultimate Challah". It was shared by Tablet magazine.
5. Allison Josephs, online editor of Jew in the City, makes her yummy challah along with her children, and shares thoughts about challah-making in this video.
6. The much loved challah by the beloved Rebbetzin Kanievsky as printed in The Bais Yaakov Cookbook.
7. From Shoshanah Ohriner: Colorful, easy to follow challah braiding video tutorial from the popular online blogger of Couldntbeparve.com
8. For a global treat we present Asian challah. . .found on MyJewishLearning.com Read the story about Molly Yeh and then enjoy the recipe for her Chinese style challah based on a traditional Chinese dish, the scallion pancake.
9. If you have a bread machine, or even if you don’t you will love this recipe from Susie Fishbein. The KosherEye team makes it often and everyone enjoys every bite.
10. Hot Pretzel Challah – by Cookbook author, Actor & Online Personality, the versatile Mayim Bialik
11. Rhodes Easy Pull-A Part Challah (Keep the Secret --So easy!)
12. Pumpkin Challah by Allaya Fleischer
13. Marcy's Sweet Challah
14. Streusel Challah
15. Coffee Cake Challah
16. Heirloom Challah by Ronnie Fein
17. Meredith's Sweet Bread Machine Challah by Meredith Jacobs
18. Sweet Cinnamon Challah - A KosherEye signature recipe
19. Apple Harvest Challah from King Arthur Flour
20. Round, Frosted Pull-apart Sweet Challah
We are providing a link to the prayer Hafrashat Challah - which is said before shaping the challah dough. If you would like to learn more about this beautiful and meaningful prayer, and how to recite it, click on this link: Hafrashat Challah prayer and tradition.
Please share your favorite challah recipe with KosherEye