By Rachel Harkham
2 x 14.5 oz cans of full-fat coconut milk
½ vanilla bean
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup water
3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
1. Place rack in the middle of oven. Preheat oven to 325F. Place pyrex pie dish in a pan filled half way with water. Set aside.
2. Pour well-shaken coconut milks into a medium saucepan, scrape out the vanilla beans from the pod into the saucepan. Add the pod and let coconut milk steep over medium heat for approximately 7-8 minutes, or until it starts to bubble around the sides.
3. In the meantime in another medium saucepan mix the ¾ cup of sugar and water and stir only until a thick sugary paste results. Heat over medium- high heat, and do not touch, allowing the sugar to bubble and caramelize and turn medium amber brown about 8-10 minutes (depending on your saucepan, stainless steel saucepans yields the quickest results). Pour the caramel syrup from saucepan into pyrex dish.
4. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, and sugar until well-combined. With a ladle pour in a generous dollop of the steeped coconut milk into the egg mixture, ensuring that you whisk vigorously so that it coalesces and does not set. Add another ladle-full and whisk well. Then pour the egg- coconut milk mixture into the rest of the steeped coconut milk, whisking vigorously so it's completely combined. Remove the vanilla bean and pour carefully into the pyrex dish on top of the caramel layer.
5. Place in oven and cook for 45-50 minutes until sides are well-set and firm, but center is still slightly jiggly (it will continue to cook after removed from oven).
6. To serve : place a large flat platter over top of pyrex dish and rapidly, yet carefully, invert it so that the flan flips onto the dish. Serve with berries and/or sweet crunchy biscuits.
Recipe yields approximately 8 slices of flan.
See our feature on Flantastic Flan.
Recipe: kosher, dessert, parve