Scales, Thermometers, Timers
Most baking requires precision and accuracy; consistent measurements are often essential to the success of the finished dish. Over the years, we have found that all measuring utensils are not created equal, and methods of how we measure ingredients vary. Even the weight of different brands of flour can affect the outcome of a cake. If the gravy is too thick or too thin, the home cook can usually remedy the problem by adding a little extra "this" or "that". With baking, that luxury is often not an option.
Using a scale and a thermometer are the only truly accurate kitchen measurement methods. Enter Escali, a company in the forefront of measurement innovation in quality, accuracy, value and style. Escali offers a full line of measurement tools and technology, including kitchen scales, body scales, kitchen thermometers and timers.
The company is located in Burnsville, MN, and founded in 1999 by Theo Prins, who is still the President and CEO. Prior to starting the company, Mr. Prins spent 20 years, mostly in Europe, in the digital scale industry. He felt that improvement was needed in the manufacturing and design of digital scales and he based the Escali designs on that premise. Initially, the product line was for professional and restaurant chefs, but it has expanded to providing measuring tools for the home cook.
Several years ago, KosherEye featured Escali, and its Primo Digital kitchen scale. The Primo remains a bestseller, highly rated twice as a best value by a leading independent consumer magazine. Its two-button design makes it is easy to use; it also has the Tare feature and displays weight in grams, pounds or ounces. Its simplicity of use and style make it a winner in the kitchen. (Approximately $23)
Escali has some new innovations, and we feel that each type of measurement tool listed here is essential for the kitchen! Do note that they are value priced, and quite affordable for most cooks.
The Escali Mako Scale
The Escali Mako Black stainless scale features an easy to clean and maintain platform that complements kitchen appliance trends. The slim design is easy to store and features touch sensitive controls and an easy-to-read display. Approximately $49
- Fingerprints wipe off easily
- High Contrast Display
- Touch Sensitive Controls
- Liquid and dry ingredient measures
- Tare Feature
- Automatic Shut-off
Escali Digital Refrigerator/Freezer Thermometer
Why do you need a refrigerator/freezer thermometer? We think that this is a no-brainer. It can save hundred of dollars in food spoilage costs. It also ensures that food is preserved and maintained at optimum safe temperatures. Approximately $7.00. To purchase, click here:
- Large Display, Compact Design
- Monitor Cold or Dry Storage
- Easy to Read Digital Display
- The large digital display is easy to read and features both Fahrenheit and Celsius measurements.
- Stand, Hang or Mount
- Stand the thermometer on a shelf, hang it from a rack or magnetically mount it to an interior wall.
Escali Deep Fry/Candy Paddle Thermometer
We use this to make our parve caramel and to fry chicken and fish.
- Dishwasher safe stainless steel.
- Easy to read display with quick reference confectionary cooking temperatures.
- Hands-free Vessel Clip
- Stainless clip holds the thermometer in a pot for continuous hands-free measurements.
- Heat Resistant Handle
- The heat resistant handle makes it easy to move the thermometer through the cooking process.
- Easy to Read Measurements
- The temperature column is easy to read and features both Fahrenheit and Celsius measurements. Approximately $14
Escali Gourmet Digital Thermometer
The Escali Gourmet Digital Thermometer is ergonomically designed with a comfort grip handle, featuring a long probe for easy measurements. It is NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) health certified, and available in multiple colors. Approximately $15